We are the area's nonprofit advocate, sanctuary and source for companion
animals since 1887.
- to protect animals from suffering and cruelty
- to provide safe and responsible care for unwanted
or abused companion animals
- to enhance the lives of animals and people through
education, adoption and foster care.
We believe in second chances at the Humane
Society of South Central Michigan. Our service area includes
all of Calhoun County and parts of Kalamazoo, Barry and Branch
counties. We keep animals as long as it takes to find a good
home for adoption once the animal passes temperament testing
and is checked for good health. The Watkins Road shelter cares for up to 100
animals every day of the year. Countless
area residents use the Society’s animal care, adoption
and education programs each year.
The Humane Society is overseen
by a Board
of Directors. We do not receive any government or tax dollars, or national humane organization funding. Our services are made possible by people in our community who care about homeless cats and dogs - people like you!
The Humane Society of South Central Michigan values:
- The ethical and humane treatment of animals
- Its role as a shelter for animals that suffer from pain, fear
- Community accountability for the welfare of its animals
- Responsible stewardship of our resources
- Community involvement to achieve our goals
- Education about responsible pet ownership
- The joy of sharing a life with animal companions
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to read our blog!